I love how compassionate/passionate my son is. He has been since birth. When he finds something he likes, he doesn't just play with it or watch it, he 'lives it.' He was Superman for awhile. Everything was Superman, and not just in the way kids like things, he truly personified Superman. When he was four years old we visited a new church and dropped him off in the nursery. When I picked him up the worker asked me what is name was. I told her and she said, "Oh, because every time I asked him what his name was, he said Superman." When we got home, I looked at the artwork he had made in class and where his name was supposed to be, said 'Superman'. That was who he was. Kryptonite phobia and all. Superman eventually morphed into Indiana Jones, which he as been for quite a bit. His brown fedora stays next to him while he sleeps and when he wakes he puts it on. He wears it on the car ride to school and then leaves it on his seat for when he returns. I love this passion. It is not just with who he is, it is with what he loves. Even if he doesn't love it, he still feels for it. I spent over two hours the other day trying to corral a 'Skeeter Eater' into a container because Jonah was afraid of it in his room, but didn't want it killed. (On a side note, Skeeter Eaters cannot be corralled.) Yesterday Jonah had a Zebra project due at school He worked hard making a diorama (remember those) and had to fill out a questionnaire about his animal. When the question came up "Is your animal endangered" he checked 'no'. I told him I think it is endangered and we looked it up. His eyes got watery when we read that they were and he wanted to do something to fix it. I told him that when he grows up he could help the zebras. But that wasn't good enough for him. He wants to help them now. Zebras, bullies at school, creepy bugs, anything, he feels a love for them and wants to make it better.
Jonah also loves Jesus. I know he has a connection there already. When he prays, he is talking to a friend. It's wonderful to watch. When he was selected to lead the Mother's Day prayer at church,I asked him if he wanted to do it. With time being short I didn't get a chance to discuss it further and I had no idea what he would say. Jonah got up and prayed for all the mommies to be pregnant and good nursers. I asked him where he got that idea and he told me, "well, I love that mommies give life." I think he gets things other first graders don't . He sees things a bit different. He sees Mommies and life go together. Not bad.
Jonah has a passion for God, his family, his art, animals, basically things that represent love to him. I'm not sure what the future holds for Jonah or if he'll grow up to be an Archaeologist or if he'll outgrow that dream for something else. What I do know is that his compassion will be at the forefront of his success. I hope some day he does find a way to help the zebras or maybe something a little closer to home. I'm not sure if he'll end up a preacher or a zoologist, an archaeologist or play Superman in a movie. I just feel fortunate that I get to witness the ride first hand. And what a ride it is. I love you little guy...go get'em.
I remember when he was Superman....he is an awesome kid. I hope he never loses that huge heart, he will be a great man someday.
ReplyDeleteI asked him if he wanted to do a 5k fundraiser for MS to help Uncle Matt. He said he wanted to find a cure instead!
ReplyDeleteGrandma